East and West Star Parties
Here are important tips and information for participants at our East and West Star Parties.
- Guests of all ages are welcome. Club activities are free and open to the public.
- In cold weather it is very important to dress warmly – and you will NOT be warm if you do not wear a hat! Wear boots if it’s snowy. You will be outdoors and it is very easy to get chilled when you are inactive (it feels 20 to 30 degrees colder!). Even cool weather requires extra clothing.
- If you are a smoker please do not smoke near the telescopes. Smoke can damage the optical coatings in a telescope. Also avoid applying insect repellents from spray cans when standing near the telescopes.
- You are welcome to bring a telescope if you have one. We will be happy to answer questions about using or buying a telescope. [There are many poor quality telescopes on the market and much of the advertising is misleading, so learn the basics about telescopes before buying!]
- The club has regular monthly meetings. They are held at 7:30 P.M. on the third Thursday of the month at the MiSci Museum of innovation and science on Nott Terrace Heights (except in August, when the meeting is held at the George Landis Arboretum). Club meetings are open to anyone interested in astronomy.
Star Parties Elsewhere
We also host occasional star parties at Five Rivers Environmental Education Center in Delmar (475-0291).
For further information about star parties, the Albany Area Amateur Astronomers, or buying a telescope, call one of the club contacts listed below. To get advice and more information about Star Parties, join the club’s Yahoo group, Astro_Albany. Do a search on Astro_Albany at http://groups.yahoo.com/, or request to join by sending e-mail to email@example.com.
- Susan or Alan French – (518-374-8460)
- Bernard Cognon – (518-953-0356)
- Betsy Whitlock – (518-872-2358)