We host Star Parties West at the Landis Arboretum and Star Parties East at Grafton Lakes and Cherry Plain State Parks. Information for both West and East locations is below.
Star Parties West
Come to Landis Arboretum to view the stars and planets with members of the Albany Area Amateur Astronomers. A variety of telescopes will be set up for viewing the heavens. Club members will provide views of nebulae, star clusters, galaxies, double stars, planets (when visible), and other interesting celestial objects.
Please Note: Star Parties are canceled if the skies are mostly cloudy. Please call the Frenches at 374-8460 if you are in doubt. We decide 90 minutes before the scheduled start.
Will it be clear? Current George Landis Arboretum Clear Sky Clock (click on any box several times for a satellite map)
2018 Landis Arboretum Star Parties West
These are all Friday/Saturday except as noted.
- Friday and Saturday, March 16 and 17 at 8:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, April 13 and 14 at 8:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, May 11 and 12 at 9:30 pm
- Friday and Saturday, June 8 and 9 at 10:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, July 6 and 7 at 10:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, August 3 and 4 at 9:00 pm
- Thursday, August 16 at 7:30 pm (annual club meeting and star party)
- Friday and Saturday, September 7 and 8 at 8:30 pm
- Friday and Saturday, October 5 and 6 at 8:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, November 2 and 3 at 8:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, December 7 and 8 at 8:00 pm
Star Parties East
Star parties at Grafton Lakes and Cherry Plain State Parks.
These events are open to the public and are sponsored by NYS Parks and Albany Area Amateur Astronomers.
Telescopes are not necessary, viewing is through scopes provided, binoculars are useful.
When arriving after dark, please use the winter entrance and follow signs.
In the event of rain or heavy clouds, the Star Party will not be held on the scheduled Friday, but the next evening, Saturday, again weather permitting.
Please call Star Parties East coordinators Ray (518-658-3138) or Bernard (518-953-0356) for information or cancellation due to clouds. The physical address is 100 Grafton Lakes State Park Way, Grafton, NY 12082. For directions call the Park office (518-279-1155).
Will it be clear? Current Grafton Lakes State Park Clear Sky Clock (click on any box several times for a satellite map)
2018 Star Parties at Grafton Lakes State Park in the Deerfield Pavilion
- Monday, March 19 at 8 pm (no rain/cloud date scheduled)
- Friday, April 13 at 8 pm (rain/cloud date on Saturday, April 14 at 8 pm)
- Friday, April 18 at 9 pm (rain/cloud date on Saturday, April 19 at 9 pm)
- Friday, June 15 at 9:30 pm (rain/cloud date on Saturday, June 16 at 9:30 pm)
- Friday, August 3 at 9:30 pm (rain/cloud date on Saturday, August 4 at 9:30 pm)
- Saturday, August 15 at 7:30 pm (no rain/cloud date)
- Friday, October 12 at 7:00 pm (rain/cloud date on Saturday, October 13 at 7:00 pm)
- Friday, November 9 at 7:00 pm (rain/cloud date on Saturday, November 10 at 7:00 pm)
2018 Star Parties at Cherry Plain State Park
- To Be Announced