We host Star Parties West at the Landis Arboretum and Star Parties East at Grafton Lakes and Cherry Plain State Parks. Information for both West and East locations is below.
Star Parties West
Come to Landis Arboretum to view the stars and planets with members of the Albany Area Amateur Astronomers. A variety of telescopes will be set up for viewing the heavens. Club members will provide views of nebulae, star clusters, galaxies, double stars, planets (when visible), and other interesting celestial objects.
Please Note: Star Parties are canceled if the skies are mostly cloudy. Please call the Frenches at 374-8460 if you are in doubt. We decide 90 minutes before the scheduled start.
Will it be clear? Current George Landis Arboretum Clear Sky Clock (click on any box several times for a satellite map)
2017 Landis Arboretum Star Parties West
These are all Friday/Saturday except as noted.
- Friday and Saturday, March 24 and 25 at 8:30 pm
- Friday and Saturday, April 21 and 22 at 9:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, May 26 and 27 at 9:30 pm
- Friday and Saturday, June 23 and 24 at 10:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, July 28 and 29 at 9:30 pm
- Friday and Saturday, September 22 and 23 at 8:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, October 20 and October 21 at 8:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday, November 17 and 18 at 8:00 pm
Star Parties East
Star parties at Grafton Lakes and Cherry Plain State Parks.
These events are open to the public and are sponsored by NYS Parks and Albany Area Amateur Astronomers.
Telescopes are not necessary, viewing is through scopes provided, binoculars are useful.
When arriving after dark, please use the winter entrance and follow signs.
In the event of rain or heavy clouds, the Star Party will not be held on the scheduled Friday, but the next evening, Saturday, again weather permitting.
Please call Star Parties East coordinators Ray (518-658-3138) or Bernard (518-953-0356) for information or cancellation due to clouds. The physical address is 100 Grafton Lakes State Park Way, Grafton, NY 12082. For directions call the Park office (518-279-1155).
Will it be clear? Current Grafton Lakes State Park Clear Sky Clock (click on any box several times for a satellite map)
2017 Star Parties at Grafton Lakes State Park in the Deerfield Pavilion
- Friday, March 17 at 8:00 pm
- Friday, April 28 at 8:00 pm
- Friday, May 19 at 9:00 pm
- Friday, June 16 at 9:30 pm
- Friday, July 21 at 9:00 pm
- Friday, September 15 at 7:30 pm
- Friday, October 13 at 7:30 pm
- Friday, November 10 at 7:30 pm
2017 Star Parties at Cherry Plain State Park
- None scheduled as of March, 2017